This Chile Relleno Breakfast Casserole has layers of melted cheese, charred peppers, tomato salsa and a fluffy egg mixture topped with more cheese! The perfect keto breakfast casserole with no frying or breading! A simple and easy one-dish breakfast meal!
This Chile Relleno Breakfast Casserole has the flavors of an authentic Chile Relleno, but without the breading, frying and work that goes into making it. It is simple to make and has layers of gooey cheese, smokey flavored chile peppers, tomato salsa and surrounded with a fluffy egg mixture. No stuffing required for this recipe!
The Chile Relleno is one of my all-time favorite Mexican meals! I remember going to this authentic Mexican restaurant in downtown Los Angeles years ago. My Hispanic co-worker took me to the most amazing hole in the wall Mexican restaurant. It was the first time I experienced a real Chile Relleno! It was love at first bite!!! I think I ate there at least 10 times within a few months. I also discovered a Chile Relleno burrito that was amazing too! Ok enough about that. I am getting hungry as I write this and I am ready to book a flight to LA! Haha!
Keto Breakfast Casserole for the week!
I remember the flavors of the Chile Relleno dish and wanted to make a breakfast Chile Relleno Casserole Keto with the same flavors and taste. I think I nailed it with this dish! One serving is only 4 net carbs! It’s the perfect breakfast keto casserole to enjoy without worrying about the carbs. This would be the perfect casserole dish for the keto diet.
I used fresh poblano peppers because I had a lot of poblano peppers from my garden. Here is how to roast them. It takes some time to prepare the fresh peppers, but if you are in a hurry and don’t have the time, you can substitute the fresh peppers for can green whole peppers. Instead of taking the time to make a tomato sauce, I use store-bought salsa because you can find really good salsas without sugar and the flavors work with this dish.
How to make this Chile Relleno Breakfast Casserole
Casseroles are the best Keto dishes because they can last a week and you have a ready-made meal at your fingertips. I usually prepare this casserole on Sunday evening for the coming week.
Here is what you will need:
- Coconut flour
- Heavy cream
- Pablano peppers or canned green whole chiles
- Jack cheese
- Chunky salsa
- Salt and Pepper
If you are using fresh poblano peppers you will need to prepare them first. How to Roast Pablano Peppers.
The first thing you will want to do is preheat the oven to 350˚. I used a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish for this recipe. Layer 1/3 of the salsa on the bottom of the dish, place 1/2 of the sliced green chiles flat on top of the salsa and then layer 1/3 the cheese on top.
Repeat the above step. Layering 1/3 of the salsa, the rest of the chile peppers and then 1/3 of the cheese.
In a blender add the eggs, cream, coconut flour and blend until smooth. Stir in the garlic, salt, pepper, and the remaining salsa. Pour the egg mixture over the green chiles and top with the remaining cheese.
Place the casserole in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes. Turn the oven down to 250˚. Cover the casserole with foil and place it back into the oven for another 10 minutes. The total bake time is 40 minutes or until the center is firm to the touch and browned on top. It will depend on your oven on the amount of bake time. My oven tends to run on the hotter side.
This Chile Relleno Casserole is the perfect keto dish. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
Chile Relleno Breakfast Casserole Keto
- 10 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Coconut flour
- 3/4 cup Chunky salsa
- 1 1/2 cup Jack cheese shredded
- 8 med Poblano chiles – prepared Can substitute for canned chiles, see Notes
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Prepare a 9" x 13" glass or casserole baking pan.
- Slice each poblano chile along one long side and open flat. Cut in half and then each piece in half, making 4 pieces per chile. If using canned green chiles, drain the chiles.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the tomato salsa on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Layer 1/2 of the cut chiles over the salsa.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese on top.
- Repeat with another layer of tomato salsa, the rest of the chilies and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- In a blender, add eggs, heavy cream, garlic, salt and pepper, and coconut flour. Blend on high until smooth.
- Mix in the remaining tomato salsa and pour the egg mixture over the chiles evenly and top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes, then remove foil turn the oven down to 250° and bake until the center is set and the top is a golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
- You can substitute 2 – (10 oz. ) canned mild whole green chiles if you want a super simple easy throw together meal. Make sure to drain the chiles.
- Serve hot with sour cream, salsa, hot sauce or avacado.
- You can make this ahead of time and place in refriderator covered until ready to bake.
- This Chile Relleno Casserole is the perfect recipe to divide up and freeze for weekly meals. Take out of freeze and let set at room temperature for 10 minutes. Place in microwave for around 50 seconds or until warm and enjoy!